clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ninjas in Pyjamas announce departure from competitive Overwatch

New, 2 comments

One of Europe’s most prominent esports organizations will release their Overwatch roster.

In a statement released on Wednesday, Ninjas in Pyjamas announced that they would be leaving the competitive Overwatch scene and would be releasing their current roster of players.

According to the statement the reason for this departure is due to a lack of information from Blizzard on the future of the competitive landscape of the game. This includes the team being given, according to the statement, very little information about the state of the upcoming Overwatch League or any details surrounding it.

Ninjas in Pyjamas say that this lack of information, along with the lower than expected viewership of the tournaments that they have participated in so far both support their view of an uncertain future for Overwatch as an esport.

With that being said, the statement also makes clear that the team is interested in the future of the game and would be more than happy to re-evaluate the situation should they become more certain of the game’s competitive prospects. In the meantime, the team says that it will be placing all of its focus on its Counter Strike: Global Offensive and League of Legends professional teams.

Ninjas in Pyjamas are currently participating in the Overwatch Contenders: Season Zero tournament. The team qualified for the Group Stage of that tournament, though it is entirely unclear what will happen to their spot in the Group Stage which is set to conclude on June 24.