Symmetra’s rework has been simmering away, and now she’s live on the PTR. This is her second rework, and it’s by far the more sizable one; she is now a Damage hero (the new category that merges Attack and Defense heroes). Not only that, but she has a whole new ultimate, her teleporter is now a basic ability, and her abilities have all been changed to be more deadly. Let’s take a look at the new, murderous Symmetra and her host of new, futuristic abilities. Blizzard have thoughtfully shared all changes, including video of each ability in action.
- Replaces Photon Projector
- No longer locks onto targets
- Range increased to 10 meters
- Damage ramping (both up and down) now takes 2 seconds per damage level instead of 1 second
- Damage ramp increased from 30/60/120 to 60/120/180
- Now generates ammo instead of spending it when hitting barriers
Symmetra’s rework significantly raises her skill floor, and this is very apparent with her new primary fire. While it no longer locks onto targets, which was a massive help for some players, it now deals significantly more damage. Now, a Symmetra in the thick of a persistent fight dishes out more hurt and takes longer to lose the ramp down on her primary fire’s damage. She can also tear through barriers since attacking one doesn’t spend her energy.
- No longer pierces targets
- Now explodes on contact
- Projectile speed increased
- Charge up speed increased
- Damage changed to 60 impact / 60 explosive
The changes here are pretty straightforward: photon projector shots are now more powerful, explode on contact instead of peacefully phasing through targets, and move faster. The ability now feels much better for a damage hero, as opposed to being the weaker attack of a support.
- Turret is now placed like a projectile instead of being set in place
- Can hold a max of 3 now, down from 6
- Can now deploy a max of 3, down from 6
- Health increased from 1 to 30
- Damage increased
- Amount of slowing effect increased
Similar to photon projector, sentry turrets now deal more damage and are better as an offense ability in every way. The car wash now has half as many turrets, but can be placed from a distance, slow more, deal more damage, and are tougher to kill.
- Can now place the exit up to 25 meters away from Symmetra
- The entrance will automatically be built in front of Symmetra, rather than at her team’s spawn point
- Lasts 10 seconds
- Health lowered to 300
- More things can teleport through it, such as Junkrat tire and D.Va’s exploding mech
- Entrance can now be destroyed
- * If either the entrance or exit dies, the other is removed
The teleporter is guaranteed to be the star of Symmetra’s new rework. Not only is it on a basic ability now, but it’s far more versatile. The entrance can be built in front of Symmetra, which means it has a potent two way potential now, but you can send Junkrat tires, Torbjorn turrets, or exploding MEKAs through. This means that Symmetra is a true master of the battlefield, able to warp her team and their constructs around. This is likely an ability we won’t understand the potential of until we see the really skilled players start tinkering with it. The devs give an example of dropping one end in a Graviton Surge to teleport your allies out, but this ability is so powerful and versatile it’s hard to imagine that’s the limit.
Ultimate: Photon Barrier
- Deploys a barrier that is big enough to span and cut through an entire map
- Orientation can be changed by pressing the ultimate button again
- Has 5000 health
Goodbye, Shield Generator, we won’t miss you. Photon Barrier has been upgraded to an ultimate from a basic ability, and it is now beefy. This wall spans the entire map. Goodbye, Pharah. See you later, D.Va. Another time, Roadhog. This is an incredibly powerful ability that looks Mei’s ice wall look like a cute little frost. While your teammates can’t move through it normally, you can drop a teleporter for them, opening up a path.
Symmetra, and her bananas new kit, is now available for testing on the PTR. It will take some time before she hits live, and a lot can change between now and then ... but for now, let’s just put our minds together and figure out how to best use the teleporter to thwart our foes and save our friends.